Melissa & Bigsby

Bigsby came into my life after being bounced around from homes to the shelter multiple times. He also had been abused. When I took him in, my golden retriever, Elvis, and I fell in love with him. He was the best brother to Elvis. Bigs was my little kangaroo and the best cuddle buddy in the world. Deb painted an incredible picture of Elvis and Bigsby together which I will cherish forever.

At the end of April 2018 Bigsby was diagnosed with liver cancer with 6 months left to live. 6 days later he crossed the rainbow bridge. It was one of the worst days of my life. Deb painted my favorite picture of Bigsby with a poem. She also surprised me with a bonus painting of Bigsby. Although he is no longer with Elvis and I, he is forever in our hearts. Agape Art holds a near and dear place in my heart for not only just painting pictures of my dogs, but for understanding the love and companionship we have with our pets.  #AgapeArtCreations #womansbestfriend

Charity & Max

My daughter had been begging me for a dog for many years. As luck would have it, I met someone who was looking to rehome their Max. It was such a perfect situation; he was so adorable, the perfect size and we fell in love immediately.

It wasn’t too long before Max’s character came out. He loved chasing the cats and sitting on their heads when he caught them.While he was for my daughter he attached himself to me. He loved his little girl but I was his mama. His love of walking took me outside more and more. The activity and the fresh air seemed to cure what was keeping me blue.

And most importantly, I had the love I always wanted. Less than two years after he came to us we moved to a new town. How he loved the new adventures (and the lack of stairs. Little dog, you know.)

So many new sights, smells and people. I would leave the blinds open a little when I’d leave for work. Just enough for him to keep watch. Without fail he would see me coming and loose his mind. As cute as he was, he had a bark that could make you go deaf.Sadly, in January he started getting sick. A few days later the vet said it might be best to let him go. My heart was shattered into a million pieces. But I will never regret the love he gave me.

I will never forget his beautiful face. And because of Deb at Agape, I will always have the most beautiful reminder. Thank you!  #AgapeArtCreations #womansbestfriend

Melissa & Shrek

I adopted Shrek in December of 2014. He was about a year old. I was told he was likely used as a “bait” dog; his ears were poorly cropped, his teeth were shaved down, he had scars on his body, and his left eye didn’t quite focus. But I saw nothing but perfection. And a second chance for both of us. You see, I was sexually assaulted years before, but the trauma was still so fresh. The judgment on a victim is BRUTAL. And I could see that Shrek and his “type” get unfairly judged. I thought we could be each other’s second chance. And we were! I spent the next four years of my life, the BEST years of my life, with him. We went on walks, we did household chores together (he was a big helper)…he was my shadow. And my rescuer. This past April, I noticed Shrek limping, and his shoulder was swollen. I thought it was a muscle pull. Two days later, I knew something very bad was going on, much worse than a muscle pull. He wouldn’t get up and wouldn’t eat his favorite snack. I rushed him to a wonderful nearby animal hospital, but by the time I got there, it was too late. Shrek was going into shock, and upon a quick exam, it was found he had tumors all over his organs. I had to make that final decision. As heartbreaking as that decision was, I know it’s the right one. I wish I had Shrek for longer, but I wouldn’t trade those four years for anything. And I guess I still do have him…in my heart, where he’ll always be loved and never be hurt.#AgapeArtCreations #pitbulls #womansbestfriend#baitdog

UPDATE to Melissa & Shrek!

Introducing…MUNCY!! This gentle giant is about 5 years old and about 5 tons of absolute sweetness!! June 12th he was on death row in Hesperia, CA, due to be unnecessarily euthanized in 60-90 minutes. Now he’s in his forever home, soaking up the love…and the air conditioning! I had absolutely no plans to adopt that day, seeing as I still miss my Shrek terribly, but sometimes things just work out. And sometimes what you’re looking for finds YOU

It’s been a little over 2 weeks since I rescued Muncy, and things are going quite well! I miss Shrek terribly, but I’ve really come to see that I’m not replacing him.

I can never replace Shrek, but as corny as it sounds, my heart just expanded when I got Muncy. It can hold Shrek forever too.#AgapeArtCreations #womansbestfriend #doglove

Gina & Molly

Molly was my everything. She was a Jack Russell Terrier, 16 years and 1 month old. We’d been through quite a bit over those 16 years. I got her when she was 9 months old, from a friend of a friend of a friend. Essentially, she was my “free dog” HA! Which we all know there isn’t such a thing as a “free dog.” Over her life I spent about $16,000 (yes 16 THOUSAND) on her. She’s had allergies, multiple dental appointments that turned into teeth pulling and root extractions. She had lens luxation which resulted in emergency surgery. Then glaucoma settled in the eye and it had to come out. Then a year and a half after the OTHER eye had to come out. That was when she was 9, so her blindness was gradual, which was good.

Molly was also diagnosed a couple of years ago with Cushing’s Disease, which is an excess amount of cortisol coming from a tumor on either the adrenal gland or pituitary gland. We never found out which was it was coming from but it really didn’t matter since you really shouldn’t operate on that. Cushing’s is where they drink tons of water, pee a lot and have a ravenous hunger. During her blindness, I had a hard time listening to her bump her head into the walls, so I collected pillows to line my entire apartment with. Yesterday when I took them down, I counted 50 pillows. It’s been hard over the years to go away for a weekend or a vacation because I needed someone to live at my place while I was gone. I promised her when she passed that I would become a blind dog overnight sitter.

I knew it was Molly’s time.  One of my best friends is a vet who took care of Molly when she worked at the vet we went to. Thank God she had her vet bag with her at home. I felt bad asking her to do the deed, but she said she was honored to do it for me.

We went to the local summer drive in and got Molly a hamburger and some ice cream which she enjoyed immensely! She still had an appetite at the end, but her body was just giving out on her.

I’ve never felt such a soul crushing pain before, and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. It’s like all of the air has been sucked out of me and I can’t get it back. She passed peacefully and quickly in my arms, at home.

I have fulfilled my promise to Molly and have become a special-needs pet sitter through Rover.com.  I love honoring her memory by helping others! Rover.com Gina Gresch
#AgapeArtCreations #puppylove #blinddog